As summer arrives and the temperatures rise outside, the last thing you want is for the mercury to also rise inside your home.
An air conditioning unit that malfunctions is never ideal. This time of year, it can make your home life miserable.
But you can do your part to prevent unwanted air conditioning system hiccups by learning to recognize the signs your air conditioner needs repair service. Here’s a quick look at some of the more common symptoms, which signs are the most serious, and which signs might mean you’ll need to replace your unit.
When It’s Time for Air Conditioner Repair
- Your unit emits a strong odor. We’re listing this one first because it could be the most critical problem to address. A burned-out wire inside the unit could be the culprit, while a musty smell may indicate mold somewhere inside of the unit or the ductwork. Either way, call a pro immediately if your AC system stinks, literally or figuratively.
- Reduced or poor airflow out of vents. If the airflow is weak, it won’t circulate through the rooms as well as it needs to. Often this is caused by a dirty filter or low refrigerant charge.
- A malfunctioning thermostat. If your unit runs for brief periods of time prior to shutting itself off, or if it won’t turn on at all, this could mean there’s an issue with your thermostat.
- The unit is blowing warm air. This one’s so obvious we almost didn’t mention it, but call a technician immediately if your HVAC system is providing heat when it should be cooling.
- It’s still humid in your house. Air conditioners don’t just cool the house; they also dehumidify it, too. If your unit isn’t lowering the heat and the humidity, it might be time for a repair.
- Your unit is leaking. Since leaks can lead to mold or mildew issues, don’t wait to address this problem. If water is leaking inside the home, that could mean your AC condensate drain is plugged.
- Frequent cycles. Even on the hottest days, your unit’s cycles should be routine. If you notice cycles more frequently than usual, it could mean you just need a tune-up, but it could also mean you need a new unit. Contact an HVAC technician for professional advice to help you determine the best course of action.
When It’s Time to Replace Your Cooling System
- Your unit is more than 15 years old. Fifteen years is roughly the average lifespan of an AC unit. If yours is 15 years old or older and still seems to be running fine, don’t wait to shop for a new one. Your unit is probably living on borrowed time, and it’s best to address the issue now instead of waiting for a larger problem to arise. If your unit is only 10 years old but is frequently breaking down, it might also be time to consider replacement services.
- Your unit needs frequent repairs and your utility bills are increasing. This likely means your AC unit has become less efficient.
- Your unit is noisy. This could also occur if your duct system is undersized or there’s a problem with your cooling equipment’s indoor coil.
- Your score on Energy Star’s Home Energy Yardstick is below five. That means your home energy use is average, and you’re probably paying more than you should on your energy bills. This is assuming, of course, that other factors aren’t hurting your energy efficiency, such as poor insulation, leaving lights on when you leave a room, and leaving unused appliances plugged in.
Contact “Doc” Dancer for AC Repair or Replacement Services
Since 1946, our trained AC experts have helped Fort Wayne, Indiana area residents with their repair, tune-up, installation, and replacement needs. Our certified HVAC technicians are trained to quickly diagnose any problems you might have and make the proper recommendations to help you find the best solution for your needs.
Just give us a call at 260-250-2981 to schedule service, or click here if you’re ready to maximize your home’s comfort this summer.