Whether you’ve recently acquired a whole-house generator or you’re contemplating investing in one, your choice to safeguard your home and family is commendable. In today’s world, our homes rely heavily on electricity, making power outages caused by storms or other scenarios potentially disruptive and damaging. Whole-house generators offer a smart solution to protect your property and your family’s well-being.
But with this essential system comes the big question of maintenance: what do you need to do to take care of it?
In this blog from Doc Dancer Heating & Air, we’ll discuss whole-house generator servicing, exploring the frequency and importance of both maintenance and repairs. You never know when you could be left in the dark, so you want to be ready!
How Long Does a Whole-House Generator Last?
A whole-house generator is a reliable investment in your home’s comfort and safety during a power outage. These systems have the potential to serve you for a substantial period of time.
On average, a well-maintained whole-house generator can last anywhere from 10 to 15 years or 1,000 to 3,000 hours of use. Some equipment may even exceed these expectations. The longevity of generators is a testament to their robust design and quality construction.
The benefits of a whole home generator extend beyond its lifespan. They offer uninterrupted power, ensuring your home’s climate remains controlled and preventing extreme temperatures that can be detrimental to your health or property. These generators also safeguard essential systems, like kitchen appliances and sump pumps.
With their extended life and ability to maintain your home’s functionality during power outages, standby generators are a wise and lasting investment for Indiana homeowners.
When Should I Call for Whole-House Generator Repairs?
Your whole-house standby generator is a dependable source of backup power, but like any mechanical system, it may require occasional repairs. Knowing when to call for generator repair is essential to ensure your system operates flawlessly when you need it most. Keep an eye out for the following signs:
- Warning Lights: If any warning lights on your generator’s control panel illuminate, it’s a clear indicator that something is amiss.
- Unusual Noises: Strange or unusually loud noises during operation could signal mechanical issues.
- Frequent Start-Up Failures: If your generator struggles to start or frequently fails to do so, it requires immediate attention.
- Smoke or Odors: The presence of smoke or unusual odors around your unit is a red flag, indicating serious problems that require a professional.
- Fuel Leaks: Fuel leaks are hazardous and should be addressed promptly, especially if you’re dealing with natural gas.
- Decreased Power Output: A reduction in the generator’s power output may suggest a problem with the system’s components.
The Importance of Whole-House Generator Maintenance
Home generator maintenance is a vital aspect of ensuring your backup power system is ready to perform when needed. Typically, preventative maintenance should be carried out annually. During this visit, a generator technician will perform a range of critical tasks to guarantee your generator’s optimal functionality.
It’s important to acknowledge that due to its nature, generator maintenance can sometimes be overlooked, as it’s not a daily concern like other household appliances. However, adhering to a consistent annual maintenance schedule is vital to ensure your generator remains in peak condition.
Doc Dancer Can Handle Your Whole-House Generator Servicing and More
Doc Dancer Heating & Air is your go-to service provider for whole-house generator servicing in the Fort Wayne area as well as communities like Columbia City, Huntington, and Roanoke. We can work with any generator model, including a whole home generator with an automatic transfer switch, a portable generator, or a standby generator that’s permanently installed in your home and connected to your electrical system.
The team at Doc Dancer Heating & Air is equipped with the necessary tools and experience to handle a wide array of generator repairs. When you need your generator repaired, whether you’re facing issues with the generator’s engine or dealing with battery problems, blockages, or wiring mishaps, we’ve got you covered. We’re here for you 24/7, ready to tackle any emergency generator repairs.
We proudly install top-of-the-line whole house generators from industry leaders like Generac® and Honeywell®. When you choose Doc Dancer Heating & Air, you not only get high-quality generators but also cost-effective, expert installation services to provide you with reliable backup power.
Scheduled maintenance is a key aspect of keeping your generator in peak condition. When our skilled and courteous technicians visit your home, they perform a series of essential maintenance tasks, including:
- Oil Changes: We start with an oil change, where we drain the old oil and replace it with fresh oil. This process is vital to ensure proper lubrication of the generator’s internal components.
- Mechanical Inspection: Our technicians conduct a thorough inspection of all mechanical parts, covering the entire generator system. This step helps identify any signs of wear, damage, or potential issues.
- Filter Replacement: We replace the air filter and oil filter in your generator to maintain clean and efficient operation.
- Spark Plug Replacement: Spark plugs are critical components for ignition. They may need to be replaced to ensure the generator starts and runs smoothly.
- System Testing: After completing the maintenance tasks, our technicians perform comprehensive system testing to confirm that your generator operates correctly.
- Repairs and Issue Resolution: During a tune up, if our technicians identify any problems, repairs, or necessary component replacements, rest assured that we promptly address them.
Contact Us Today for An Appointment
At Doc Dancer Heating & Air, your family’s safety is our top priority. We are committed to making sure your home remains a place of comfort and security. To ensure your whole-house generator’s reliable performance, please don’t hesitate to reach out and schedule a maintenance service or repair appointment with us in Fort Wayne, IN.